Thursday, February 7, 2013

"The MacKinnon Series" by J.A. Templeton

"I couldn't feel anything-except for the pain. Nothing could take away the pain."
-J.A. Templeton, The Deepest Cut

"Maybe there was such a thing as being scared to death..."
-J.A. Templeton, The Haunted

"She had haunted me for months now, and I was ready to put it behind me forever."
-J.A. Templeton, The Departed

I struck gold in the free books on Amazon over Christmas break. Not only did I find "Waking Up Married" by Mira Lyn Kelly, I also found "The Deepest Cut" by J.A. Templeton. When I read the sample, it was obvious that this book was targeted toward a young adult, or high school, audience. The plot was excellent, so I didn't care if it wasn't meant for my age group.

I can't imagine ever losing a parent, or any loved one close to me for that matter. I don't ever want to know what that feels like. Riley, along with her brother and father, lost her mother in a car accident recently. People, especially teenagers can be affected by this in many different ways. Some become seclusive, some become depressed, and others start seeing ghosts. Right?

Riley isn't exactly sure why she woke up in the hospital with the ability to see ghosts, but she has had to deal with it for almost a year now. She was sent to the psychiatrist, but what does that help? Thinking that the trauma of it all was just too much, the doctor suggested that they move. Naturally, they move to Scotland. Moving into an old inn next to an ancient castle didn't exactly solve the problem.

While exploring around the castle, a young ghost approached her. Never before had she interacted with a ghost her own age. She grew to really love his company, and finally she grew to love him completely. Too bad another ghost wanted her dead.

Laria would stop at nothing.

This isn't your average campfire ghost story. Templeton had me shaking under my sheets when I read every night. I went through all three books like wildfire. There are so many twists; I was always on my toes. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, Templeton would throw me for another loop. There was never a dull moment in these books! The emotions that Riley feels were so real, that I felt them, myself. Templeton's details and imagery will make you think that Laria is watching you, too.

There is also a novella by J.A. Templeton, The MacKinnon Curse, but I did not have the pleasure of reading it just yet. I decided I should probably venture to other books so I could write about them here.

Templeton's books are available on on the Kindle! The first book is free, while the other two were $2.99 each, or at least around that much. Find out why Laria wants to haunt and kill Riley.

This week I did not make my own version of the covers. The covers were all too similar, so I decided to just take pictures representing the series. The first photo shows Laria haunting Riley. She is ALWAYS there. The second is a close-up of Laria. The third represents a scene from the final book where Riley and her friends tamper with a Wigi board. Laria and an accomplice appears at the party. Again, I'm not the best at photoshop, but I tried!

Special thanks to Brandey for posing as Riley, Katy for posing as Laria, and Tabby and Dani for helping with the party scene!




No comments:

Post a Comment