Friday, March 29, 2013

"Fragments" by Jeffry W. Johnston

"We're dealing with fragments here. Pieces that, by themselves, are hard to understand. But if we could figure out how they fit together..."
-Jeffry W. Johnston, Fragments

 You know, nothing about this book fit together. I can't piece together any good reason to ever read this book. Sure, I've read worse, but honestly there was nothing exciting about this book.

I knew this time would come. Eventually I knew that I would have to write a bad book review. This book was included in a collection of books loaned to me by a friend. I chose this book for this week because I knew it was not like the others I had been reading. I know I need variety in my reviews, so I thought this would be a good addition to my collection.

I began reading, and I instantly knew it was a book for a younger audience. The writing was simple. I continued reading anyway. I figured it couldn't hurt. But: ouch.

For a quick look at how this book made me feel, watch this video!

Chase is in high school and loves to be in front of an audience. He is the best actor at his school, and everyone knows it. Unfortunately, his acting is not the reason he gets attention. The whispers in the halls spread because of the scars on his wrists. Chase attempted suicide. Twice.

Recently, Chase was in a terrible car accident. He was drunk, but he didn't drive. He called his ex-girlfriend, Angie, to pick him up. Two of his friends were in the back seat, and he was in the passenger seat. A drunk driver met them on a sharp turn, but Angie couldn't swerve quickly enough. Chase was the only survivor.

His older brother, Ben, was troubled and was in jail, but his parents basically disowned him. Chase desperately wanted them to forgive Ben because he felt that all of Ben's troubles were his fault. Ultimately it lead to suicidal thoughts.

Most of the story tells of him having flashbacks that the reader doesn't understand, then he goes to his therapist and doesn't tell her anything. It's extremely repetitive. All of his secrets are revealed and all of the flashbacks are explained in the last chapter or so. They were shocking and unexpected, which was good, but that was the only time I really felt any emotion during this book: a whole 2 seconds.

Overall, it was just rather dull. Nothing kept me reading the book, other than the fact that I knew I needed to have a blog written by the end of the week. There was no pull, nothing at the end of each chapter leaving me wanting more.

Unless you want to be incredibly bored, I wouldn't recommend this book.

I'm not saying that suicide is not a serious issue. Those things should not be read lightly. I understand the importance of the message about suicide, but the overall plot was just a dud.



***
Do you agree? Do you disagree? If you've read this book, what did you think? Share your thoughts here!

Make sure to like my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter for updates! That way you can contact me directly with suggestions or comments! Always feel free to comment right here, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment