Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett

"It makes you wonder, all the brilliant things we might have done with our lives if only we suspected we knew how."
- Ann Patchett, Bel Canto


This book was not one that was on my "to read" list, but one of my closest friends suggested it for me, so I went for it. I'm always up for suggestions, and I love reading what interests those around me.

For starters, I am not up to par on my music knowledge, and the front cover clearly indicates that music is going to be a major element in the story. I didn't want to ruin the book for myself, so I did not look up the meaning of "bel canto," thinking it would be explained within the story. When it never even mentioned the words, I looked up "bel canto" (Italian) to literally translate to "fine song."

The story begins with a birthday party. There were no clowns or balloons or anything like that. This was a fancy, upscale part for a Japanese businessman, Katsumi Hosokawa. He was the chairman of the largest electronics corporation in Japan, so his party was top notch. Mr. Hosokawa was a huge fan of the opera, particularly a woman named Roxane Coss. She was invited to sing at the party, and for a hefty sum, she did.

As soon as one of her songs ended, the lights went out, and the chaos began. Soldiers were taking over the party, looking for the president of the small Latin American country that was hosting the party. To their surprise, the president was not in attendance, even though he said he would be there. Instead, they took everyone hostage until the government would negotiate with them properly.

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. The story tells of all that goes on during their captivity and how so many things changed during those months. Lives changed. Loves changed. Most of the characters discovered things about themselves that they would have never known if they weren't held hostage for all that time. Almost everything changed for the people within the walls of that party.

I won't lie, this book did not make it to my favorites list. I wasn't a big fan. I remember thinking, "Oh, this is finally getting interesting" when I reached page 251. I prefer to be hooked long before I hit that point in a book, especially when that is so close to the end.

The plot had incredible potential, but it just moved slowly. Ann Patchett is an incredible writer. I loved the way she wrote; her language was very fluid, smooth, and lyrical, which is appropriate for the context of the story. I just think more could have been done with the storyline.

Many people disagree with my view on this book, because I saw many reviews where people just ADORED this book. To each his own, of course, but this is not a book that I would typically recommend. Especially because I was so frustrated with the way it ended. I literally had to force myself to sit down and read the book, because I felt like I needed to get it over with. It never sucked me back in, and I never actually WANTED to continue to read it.

As negative as that sounds, I don't necessarily regret reading it, it's just not my cup of tea. Some parts were enjoyable, but I like to read a book that pushes me to turn the page, that I hate to put down. "Bel Canto" was very easy for me to put down.

If you've read this book, I would love to know your thoughts. My friend that gave it to me said it was her favorite book. So, I'd like to know what you guys have to say!

I'd say the content is appropriate for all ages. Anything sexual that is mentioned is understood and left to the imagination. Patchett didn't take anything too far. Minimal profanity is used. I only recall it being used twice, and unfortunately it was the f-word, but I've seen MUCH worse. The reading level is definitely not fit for anyone under 13 I would say, because the vocabulary and writing style is more complicated than a young adult novel.

***

LIKE Drunk On Books on Facebook to stay updated on all new reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment